Chiropractic doctors are known for their practice of manual adjustments, otherwise called spinal manipulations. However, they also use several kinds of tools in their practices that can help their patients to get pain relief. Some of these tools are used to give the actual treatments to help people get rid of their soreness or discomfort, while others are meant to gauge the progress that has been made over the course of these treatments.
Chiropractic care tools are often used by the doctors to help realign the spine to correct musculoskeletal issues. The basic principle of chiropractic treatment is that if the spine is out of alignment, that it is blocking the body’s system from getting the proper blood flow or oxygen levels, as well as constricting the joints, nerves and other body parts.
Types of Chiropractic Tools
Some of the kinds of tools used by chiropractors include:
• Activator Adjusting Tool: This tool is a small, hammer shaped device that is used to tap the spine gently in order to get the crooked vertebrae to go back to their normal position. It is considered to be a low impact type of spinal adjustment.
• Adjustment Table: This table is likely to be in all chiropractic clinics. The doctor places the patient on this raised and padded table so that they will be comfortable during a spinal adjustment.
• Neurocalometer or Nervo-Scope: This is a handheld instrument that has two probe on it that conduct heat. These probes are connected to a meter to read the temperature. The device measures to see if the two sides of a patient’s spine are at the same temperature, as differences in temperatures can mean there is some kind of spinal problem.
• Traction Gear: At times, treatment by a chiropractor may include traction to get rid of tension in the spine or to straighten the vertebrae. It is a tool found in most chiropractic clinics.
• X-Ray Machines: Many times a chiropractor will need to take x-rays of a patient in order to see what is wrong with a person’s spine. The x-ray can show abnormalities or misalignment. This can show the issues better than the doctor merely putting their hands on the patient’s spine to feel a possible misalignment.
• CAPS Posturography – This is a device that monitors posture.
• ArthroStim – This tool is used when manual manipulation is not possible and produces as much as 40lbs of pressure. It also reaches the deep tissues in the body, which can’t be done by hand.
• Massage Tools – Massage tools used by chiropractors are used to help soothe and release painful trigger points on a patient. These may include things like a massage ball, or other instruments that cause relaxation of the muscles.
Chiropractic Care Relieves Pain, Stress in Patients
The main focus of a chiropractor’s job is to assist their patients in getting rid of their discomfort, pain and stress. They are dedicated to helping these people to lead more comfortable lives through help given by these doctors to get them the aid they require to be healthier and happier through pain management and relief. For more information on chiropractic care go to chiropractor.